A few weeks ago I looked at the doTERRA Family Essentials kit, and showed how I had started to use it. Today I am focusing on lemon oil, which is my absolute doTERRA favourite, because it just smells so good. I’m amazed how versatile it is too, and my home and life now smells of lemon, all over. Read to the end to find out how you can claim a free sample of lemon essential oil.
Uses of Lemon Oil
For the most part, I just go around sniffing my lemon bottle and adding lemon flavour to everything I can think of. But it’s great to look at the science behind lemon and realise that it is actually useful as well as smelling divine.
- To give yourself a lift, put a drop or two in your palm, rub your hands together, and then inhale the wonderful scent.
- Are you a fan of lemon-infused desserts? You can add a sweet and zesty punch to your favorite treats and dessert recipes when you add a little Lemon essential oil. When used properly, Lemon oil often adds a sweet, sugary taste to desserts, without the processed sugar or other alternative ingredients.
- Use lemon oil to flavour olive oil then use it in your cooking, for example https://doterra.com/US/en/blog/recipe-kale-chips
- Use 1–2 drops to remove gum, oil, grease spots, glue or adhesive, and crayon from most surfaces.
- Teeth Whitener – Mix lemon essential oil, baking soda and coconut oil and rub on your teeth for 2 minutes and then rinse.
- Combine 2–3 drops with water in a spray bottle to help cleanse and sanitise surfaces.
- Skin care: Lemon oil is a good remedy for increasing the lustre of dull skin. It is astringent and detoxifying in nature, and rejuvenates sagging or tired-looking skin. Its antiseptic properties help in treating pimples and various skin disorders. Lemon is also recommended for reducing excessive oil on the skin.
- When diffused, Lemon oil provides an uplifting environment and promotes a positive mood. Due to the chemical makeup of this oil, it has been shown to help improve mood with an energizing and invigorating aroma. If you want to diffuse Lemon oil, use three to four drops in the essential oil diffuser of your choice.
- Stress: Lemon oil is calming in nature and therefore helps in removing mental fatigue, exhaustion, dizziness, anxiety, nervousness and nervous tension. It has the ability to refresh the mind by creating a positive mindset and removing negative emotions.
- In case you leave your laundry sitting in the washer too long, just add a few drop of lemon EO and your clothes won’t get that nasty smell.
- Wood and Silver Polish – A lemon oil-soaked cloth will also help spruce up your tarnished silver and jewelry! Lemon oil for wood cleaning is also great.
- While Lemon can work wonders with wood furniture, it is also useful for maintaining leather furniture. Use a Lemon oil soaked cloth to wipe down your leather furniture to help preserve the piece, and prevent leather from splitting.
- Place a few drops on a cotton ball and put in the fridge or dustbin to help eliminate odours.
- Diffusing Lemon oil will also help cleanse and purify the air and surfaces in your home. Add 2 drops of Lemon, 1 drop of Lime, 1 drop of Lavender, and 1 drop of Rosemary to your diffuser for a “Clean Summer Kitchen” aroma.
- Immune Support – Lemon oil can support lymphatic drainage and help you overcome a cold fast, mix it with coconut oil and rub it on your neck.
- “I use Lemon on stains on laundry. It pulls anything out of the clothes, including grease, dirt, etc. Plus, it brightens whites on the clothes lines in the summer.”
- Lemon oil can help give your complexion a refreshed, healthy looking glow. To make your own homemade exfoliant scrub, combine 4–5 drops of Lemon essential oil to a small amount of oatmeal and water. As you apply the Lemon oatmeal scrub to your skin, you will feel the cleansing and refreshing properties of Lemon oil working to exfoliate and clean your skin.
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water and use it as a homemade cleaning solution when you wipe down your countertops, baby high chair, bathroom sink, or anything else that needs the purifying power of Lemon. To make the solution even stronger, consider adding a little vinegar. The beauty of a homemade cleaning solution made with Lemon essential oil is that it doesn’t include all the chemicals that store-bought cleaners have. You can rest easy knowing that your cleaning agent won’t pose a threat to you and your family, because it is chemical-free!
- “I use a couple of drops in a bowl of water to wash my fruit. It makes strawberries taste amazing!
- Weight loss: Lemon juice is very helpful in satisfying appetite to reduce the chance of overeating.
- Clean Hands – Got greasy hands from working on your car or bike and regular soap isn’t doing the trick? No worries, just add a couple drops of lemon EO with your soap and get your clean hands back!
- Hair care: Lemon oil is also effective as a hair tonic. Many people use this oil to get strong, healthy and shiny hair. It is also used to eliminate dandruff.
- Soaps and cosmetics: Lemon juice and lemon essential oil are both used in soaps, face washes and many other personal care and skin care cosmetics due to its antiseptic quality.
- Perfumes : Lemon oil has a distinctly refreshing aroma which makes it a good ingredient for perfumes. Many scented candles contain lemon oil, and it is also used in potpourris.
- Lemon oil blends well with many other essential oils including lavender essential oil, rose oil, neroli essential oil, sandalwood oil, geranium essential oil, ylang ylang essential oil, tea tree essential oil, making it a popular oil for herbalists and those who practice the healing art of aromatherapy.
Here are some more posts you may enjoy